When Steve and I began to consider what to country to adopt from, we kept coming back to Ethiopia.
- Birth Order: We knew we wanted to keep the birth order of our current family intact so we would need to adopt a child under 1 year old. Not every country would allow a family of our size to adopt at all or the country would require us to adopt an older child. Ethiopia would allow us to adopt an infant. We have requested a child 0-12 months. In all likelihood, the baby will be 6+ months old when they are finally home with us.
- Out of the approximately 147 million orphans worldwide, there are estimated to be 4-6 million orphans in Ethiopia - a country less than twice the size of Texas.
- 1 in 10 children die before their first birthday
- 1 in 6 children die before their fifth birthday
- Malnutrition is the underlying cause of more than half of all child deaths
- 1 physician for every 34,988 people
- Average Ethiopian woman gives birth to 6 children
- 1 in 4 women dies in childbirth or from a pregnancy-related illness
- Half the children in Ethiopia will never attend school. 88% will never attend secondary school
Are you requesting a boy or a girl?
Because we are a family of females (the exception being Steve of course), All God's Children (our agency) requires that we be open to adopting a boy or a girl. Once our dossier is complete, we will be placed on the waitlist for both. However, girls are requested more frequently and have a longer waitlist. Therefore, we are thinking it will probably be a little guy, but God may have other plans! We will just have to WAIT and see...
How long will the process take?
Once our dossier is complete (approx. 4 months), we will be placed on the waitlist. The estimated time on the waitlist is 12-18 months. Grand Total = 16-22 months or Summer 2012. We are preparing ourselves for a total of two years - which is longer than we originally had anticipated. This seems to be the perfect timing as it allows a little more time for all our girls to mature and become more independent. Hopefully, the twins will be potty trained by the time the new little one arrives!
How much will the adoption cost?
The estimated costs are $30,000 which includes all agency fees, paperwork fees, and the two required trips to Ethiopia.
The adoption tax credit is $13,170 for 2011 which will hopefully be extended for another year. This means that our out of pocket cost is approximately $17,000. Not a small amount, but we serve a big God!
How can I help?
We need your prayer more than anything else! Please be praying for:
- The Birth Mother - Her health and safety as well as her salvation. Her tremendous sacrifice is something that is hard for me to comprehend - Please pray for her!
- Our Child - He/She would be healthy and receive good care. Also, that he/she would bond quickly with our family.
- Finances - Our adoption would be fully funded and that God would receive the glory!
- Our Family - Pray that Kate, Abigail, and Eveline would lovingly welcome their new sibling and that they would bond quickly
- Orphans - Pray that those left behind will be connected to their forever families and that God would break our hearts for what breaks His.
If you have additional question, please feel free to contact us: sderdowski at gmail dot com. We would love to hear from you!